Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sports

Michigan, ex-coordinator sued again in hacking, identity theft case

Eleven women filed a class action lawsuit against the University of Michigan and former offensive coordinator Matthew Weiss, who authorities say hacked into computers at more than 100 universities and stole the identity of more than 3,000 students.

According to the lawsuit filed in the Eastern District of Michigan and obtained by USA TODAY Sports, the 11 women are identified as Jane Does, including seven soccer players, two gymnasts and a cheerleader.

The Regents of the University of Michigan and Keffer Development Services are also named as defendants in the lawsuit.

‘This case marks yet another disturbing failure by the University of Michigan to protect its students – particularly student-athletes – from serious breaches of privacy and trust. For nearly a decade, individuals connected to the University have suffered the unauthorized access and misuse of their personal information, allegedly by former football co-offensive coordinator Matthew Weiss and enabled by institutional negligence,’ attorneys Megan Bonanni and Lisa Esser-Weidenfeller said in a statement.

The women say they have suffered significant and severe damages and seek compensation, which the lawsuit says could exceed $50 million.

Last month, Weiss was charged with 14 counts of unauthorized access to computers and 10 counts of aggravated identity theft, and faces a maximum of five years imprisonment on each count of unauthorized access to computers and two years on each count of aggravated identity theft. Weiss’s alleged crimes spanned from 2015-2023, and authorities say he is accused of downloading confidential information of more than 150,000 student-athletes, targeting mostly female college athletes.

‘Through this scheme, unknown to account holders, Weiss downloaded personal, intimate digital photographs and videos,’ the indictment said. ‘His goal was to obtain private photographs and videos never intended to be shared beyond intimate partners’ and ‘kept notes on individuals whose photographs and videos that he viewed, including notes commenting on their bodies and sexual preferences.’

A total of five federal lawsuits have been filed against Michigan and Weiss, who worked for the Baltimore Ravens before becoming Michigan’s quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator.

(This story was updated with new information.)

This post appeared first on USA TODAY

    You May Also Like

    Business

    Hollywood’s blockbuster slate is heating up, and AMC Entertainment is increasing the number of its premium screens to meet demand. The world’s largest cinema chain is adding 40 Dolby Cinema...

    Business

    Restaurant chain Hooters of America filed for bankruptcy protection in Texas on Monday, seeking to address its $376 million debt by selling all of its company-owned...

    Business

    Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Sunday that his involvement in the Trump administration could be hurting the automaker’s stock price. Speaking at a town hall...

    Business

    Amazon on Monday released a new AI model that can take actions in a web browser on a user’s behalf, a move that puts it in more...

    Disclaimer: VolatilityIndicators.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 VolatilityIndicators.com | All Rights Reserved